Friday, September 3, 2010

Carrying what message?

I have been often challenged with the question...what is the message of AA? Perplexed and lacking a definite answer I have sought out what I believe to be the best representation of our message possible.
Now I have heard all manner of things, most are right but only a small piece of the ultimate puzzle. Yes, AA is a path to God, the steps lead there, freedom from alcohol, so on and so forth. But what is the message?

"God, I offer myself to Thee-to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"

Contained in this simple prayer is the whole message of AA, in fact broken into individual parts this prayer contains all of our steps and the path to God...Let me explain.

1. God I offer myself to Thee
Within this phrase is contained the first 2 steps of surrender...Admittance of powerlessness and unmanageablity we turn our lives over to God

2.to build with me and do with me as Thou wilt.
A little more abstract but there none the less is the beginning of step 3-7 as we begin to clean house to allow for God to shape and mold our lives into the life we are supposed to be leading. These first two phrases blend together into a for of letting go of our old ways, accepting God into our lives and beginning the necessary changes to live sober lives.

3.Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will.
How are we relieved of selfishness and self centeredness? It begins with amends in 8-9 where we are able to first take an honest look at the harm we have caused others and make an effort to right those wrongs. Once those things are out of the way and we can begin to see that we have an impact on the lives of others we are better able to do Gods will.

4. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help
Step 11 and then into Step 12 this phrase moves. Our difficulties are never fully removed we are simply granted the grace, dignity and strength to overcome them through maintenance of a conscious contact with God. The changes in our lives can be shared with newcomers in 12th step work giving an abundance of hope as they are able to see the power of God flow through us.

5.Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"
Lack of power that is the dilemma...He gives us power, teaches us to love unconditionally so that we can operate in his way of life not our own. With the bond intact and the conscious contact prevalent we strive to do God will (practice our principles in all of our affairs) always...

Our message is right there...





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for your thoughts...