Saturday, September 18, 2010

Humility...

Humility


     "Perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, irritable or sore; to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me.
     "It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised, it is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the door and pray to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and about is seeming trouble. "
The above phrase was found at the desk of our co-founder, Dr. Bob. While we often call humility our meeting topic, it seems that many (myself included) are often miffed at the true definition of this incredible principle.

The first section of this speaks to the idea that we had in fact ceased fighting everything and everyone, we had at last come to rest or peace with all things. What is better, to be at peace amongst the storm or to be perplexed and fretted feeling as though we have been trampled or taken for granted? I have often struggled with this because it seems to be my nature to resist the feeling that I am being walked on. However, the inference gathered here makes no reference to defense of oneself against harm, rather it speaks quite clearly to the idea that we should not be bothered by such.

The second part goes even deeper into the spiritual nature of our founders, suggesting that despite the storm around us we should seek safe haven within the calm that is our heavenly Father. This also suggests that once the relationship is formed with our Higher Power we are able to then make the choice to go peacefully into his care in times of need rather than to be drawn into conflict and discord...

The Power of Humility: Choosing Peace over Conflict in Relationships

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for your thoughts...