Monday, September 20, 2010

Part 2: The Physical Allergy

" We believe, and so suggested a few years ago, that the action of alcohol on these chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy; that the phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and never occurs in the average temperate drinker."
The Doctor's Opinion The Anonymous Press Study Edition of Alcoholics Anonymous



The second part of our discussion shall focus on the physical manifestation of our illness. While I am not a medical doctor and will make now claims on the exact science or chemistry involved in the process of the allergic reaction, I will, however, share my experience.

In active addiction I was unable to explain, sufficiently, to anyone in my life the overwhelming necessity for me to drink. There was no desire to get drunk, no longer was there the joy and excitement once associated with it, what remained was a deep and unsatisfiable urge to consume alcohol. It wasn't until I read the word "phenomenon" that I knew...there is was, the completely baffling feature, somewhere deep with-in me I was physically different.

Now in early sobriety I read trade publications, medical studies, books and pamphlets all in an effort to understand the reaction that takes place inside me when I ingest alcohol. When it is all said and done though, something inside of me is triggered and I cannot stop. I cannot call into mind with sufficient force the past hurts, I cannot muster the will power to walk away or even to set down the drink.

When a normal drinker consumes enough alcohol is aquire a moderate buzz they can, stop, or moderate their intake to remain in their desired state, if they overdo it and become ill, they might get sick and go home and not drink again for a long time. An alcoholic on the other hand will undoubtedly vomit and resume drinking again despite the physical sign that their body has had enough and is rejecting further poisoning. Allergic...absolutly.

The final portion of this will deal with the presence of withdrawl symptoms, tremors, hallucinations, etc. are all outward signs of a physical allergy being experienced by the body, when we don't have it, we need it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for your thoughts...