Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Making Amends

Making Amends
The following story has been reprinted with permission, I found it an inspiring story and I hope that you do as well...


 I was riding through the mountains last year and remembered that when I was around 16 or 17 years of age, I stole 20 dollars from my grandmother when she was living at the nursing home. I remembered using this money to buy a bag of weed. I ...was devastated by what I had done. I got off my four wheeler and started to hike to this special place I spend a lot of time praying at. Sitting there I was dealing with the shame and guilt of doing such a terrible thing to my wonderful Gram. I began to pray to her…I told her, “Gram I know you have been waiting for a very long time for me to remember that I stole this money. I want you to know that I am deeply sorry for doing such a terrible thing to you. Please forgive me. I love you so very much”. So I sat that on this huge rock and began to cry. My grandma was in heaven now and I can’t make it up to her. I couldn’t possibly make amends for this selfish act. All I could do is tell her with all my heart I was sorry. All I could do is keep telling her I wish she was here, that I was so sorry, that I love you…over and over again. After a short while, I began to think about what my mother would tell me. My mom always had the answers. It wasn’t long and I received the answer. I got on my machine and drove back to the lodge. I jumped in my truck and went to this place called Bread of life. It is a homeless shelter in a little town down the mountain. I walked in and went to the guy sitting in the office. I pulled 80 dollars out of my pocket and gave it to this man. I said…”here take this money so that maybe it might help you guys out”. I turned and walked out. While I was getting in my truck, the man I gave the money to came up to me. He wanted to know whose name I should put on the receipt. I replied…”Catherine Monahan, my grandmother, she wanted me to give you this money”.
This is how I made amends to someone who is no longer alive. I know that she heard me, I know that she is with my mother, I know that they were happy that I finally remembered. They know how much I love them, they know what I am doing on this mountain. That for me is all that matters. PS I also know that they are with God in heaven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for your thoughts...