Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sober on the road...

I consider it a true blessing and wonderful gift that I have been privileged to go to meetings all over our country and beyond...While a home group, network of sober friends and a sponsor are vital things, once a foundation is laid down and one gains some comfort in sober life...one must travel! Seek out the ends of the earth...and find us...

"We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny." Alcoholics Anonymous page 164

I have participated in meetings at Bellvue Hospital in NYC, I have sipped morning coffee while watching the sun come up over Magen's Bay in the USVI...I have had Cuban Coffee with a group of snowbirds in the Florida Keys and caught a Midnight Meeting of the Mustard Seed Group...Don't worry West Coasters I am on my way someday soon...

Everywhere I have wandered and roamed in sobreity you have been there, from the week-end trips to Tennessee to stay in touch with my Aftercare group (monthly 700 mile round-trips for dinner and a meeting), to multi-week island adventures, AA has been the backbone of my sober life on the road.

I have been to some powerful meetings, meet some extraordinary people, many of whom are forever a part of my life, have learned some awesome things, and through it all I must say Island AA is wicked awesome stuff...

It must be the small groups, the interpersonal relations, the constant flow of new old timers, that combine together to form this tight knit group of people who, despite hurricanes, poverty, an endless party atmosphere around them, stay sober year after year...Thank you for making sure that when we leave here to unwind you are there keeping the doors open and carrying the message...

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post today as I remember my recent travels. I recently WON a trip to Manhattan. (Me?) Well, though I'm only 19 weeks & 6 days sober I am working a strong program, with the help of a strong God, sponsor and home group. I went to NY last week by myself! I went with the idea of going to meetings in Manahattan, and I DID! I went to The Mustard Seed! There I found love, acceptance, and great sharing. I didn't need to search any more after my first meeting there, and in 2&1/2 days I hit it 4 times, each one wonderful. They grounded me when I arrived, and loved me while I was there. I learned the true meaning of having friends all over the world that I haven't met yet! Now I want to go to meetings everywhere! I've got the bug! I heard you mention TN, so if you ever make it to the Crossville area, in between Knoxville & Nashville, please come see us at The 4th Dimension! We're all anonymous there too...lol. Thanks again, and have an extra blessed day wont you? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for your thoughts...